Jesus Calms the Storm
Passage: Mark 4:35-41
Sunday, October 1, 2017
Jesus initiates this journey with His disciples, and they encounter a situation they are not ready or prepared for. They come upon a situation where they are completely out of control and have to trust God.
Have you ever been in a situation like that? You feel powerless, unable to change the situation or get out.
Jesus doesn't leave these men alone in their situation, but goes through it with them, and brings peace and calm that only He can.
Here are a few lessons we learn from Mark 4:35-41:
1. It is God who initiates a journey with Him, a journey where He expects us to trust Him in spite of the situations outside of our control or power to change.
2. During our journey with God, He allows various situations to come that are outside our authority and power to change.
3. When we find ourselves in situations where it seems God is asleep or silent, it does not mean God is inactive; He is always at work.
4. These situations tend to reveal who we are and how we view the Lord.
5. It is also in these situations God reveals to us who He is and how He views us.
6. God desires for us to know Him deeper and to obey Him like the wind and sea.
7. We expect that God will listen to and love us as we are. Are we ready to listen to and love God as He is?