A Reaching Community full manuscript
The Church: A Called-Out Reaching Community
Pastor Paul Davis
Sunday, September 24, 2017
We have been talking about the Church and misconceptions that have developed over time. We have been attempting to build a greater understanding of what the church is and what she is supposed to do.
The question goes something like this: “If Jesus is the only way to heaven, what happens to the billions of people who have never believed in Him?”
Sometimes our diversions are God’s divine plans.
There is a powerful glimpse of God’s grace and the purpose of the church in this passage—we must not miss it:
1. We are sent (end of verse 17) – if we are believers in Jesus Christ, we have been sent on the same mission as Jesus and Paul (Matthew 28:18-20)
2. We are sent on a mission to open eyes (Isaiah 35:5, 42:7; 1 Timothy 2:3-4; 2 Peter 3:9) – God does not desire that billions go to Hell. God’s desire is that all men be saved.
3. We are sent on a mission to open eyes so the nations might turn from darkness to light (2 Corinthians 4:4) – We, the Church, are God’s gracious provision to bring people trapped in darkness into His glorious Light!
4. We are sent on a mission to open eyes so the nations might turn from darkness to light and turn from the power of Satan to God (2 Timothy 2:24-26)
5. We are sent on a mission to also receive forgiveness of sins – The Church is God’s gracious plan to share this Good News with those drowning in sin and guilt.
6. We are sent on a mission to receive forgiveness of sins and be given a place among God’s people, who are set apart by faith in Jesus.
Summary: “Does God really send everyone who does not know Jesus to Hell?” The answer is No! God is sending you and I, His church to the nations to open their eyes, so they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and be given a place among God’s people.